New recipes

Would-Be Jewelry Thieves Accidentally Rob KFC Instead

Would-Be Jewelry Thieves Accidentally Rob KFC Instead

Burglars break through wrong wall, wind up in restaurant


A pair of would-be jewelry thieves in Australia decided to make the best of a bungled situation last week when they found themselves in a local KFC instead of the jewelry shop they were targeting and decided to rob the restaurant instead.

According to ABC News, Dwayne Doolin and Peter Walsh had planned to ring in the new year with a daring heist where they'd crash through the wall of a restroom into the jewelry store next door and have their pick of precious gems and gold. But they accidentally smashed a hole in the wrong wall and found themselves in a KFC restaurant, which was open and full of some very surprised employees.

The two decided to just run with it and rob the restaurant. According to Queensland police, "The men threatened staff with a metal bar and made demands for cash. Two female employees complied and handed over a sum of cash to the men.”

They left the restaurant on foot with $2,600, and nobody was hurt in the incident.

Both suspects were caught, though. One is out on bail and the other remains in custody. Police say the men are scheduled to appear in court on March 5.

Australian crooks try to break into jewelry store 3 times in one day — but end up in next-door KFC

A pair of birdbrained burglars cooked up an original recipe for failure.

Australian authorities arrested two men who tried to rob an empty jewelry store on New Years' Eve — but broke into the next-door KFC instead, according to The Courier-Mail.

Peter Welsh, 32, and Dwayne Doolan, 31, were arrested after they allegedly went into a bathroom area in the back of the shops, then used a crowbar to bust through a wall they thought was Wrights Jewellers. Only, instead of gold chains, they found grilled chicken.

Staff at the fast-food joint in Beaudesert, south of Brisbane, were startled, The Courier-Mail said.

But that wasn't even the crooks' first alleged attempt to get into the jewelry store Monday.

According to the newspaper, they tried to smash through the window at 7:35 a.m. by lobbing spark plugs at the glass. When that odd maneuver went awry, they allegedly tried to force their way through a back entrance — only they wound up inside the Animal Welfare League Opportunity Shop.

They allegedly swiped a charity box with $50 from a front counter, police said.

Still feeling plucky, the dazed-and-confused Aussies made a third attempt to get into the jewelry store.

That's when they accidentally broke their way into the KFC through a back bathroom area. Rather than give up, the pair held up the workers, said Sgt. Damian Summerfield.


Ms Nguyen says the secret to the world famous flavour lies in 12 herbs and spices

Ms Nguyen said buttermilk is the traditional way of tenderising chicken before it is fried in the southern United States, where Kentucky Fried Chicken was created.

Buttermilk contains enzymes and acids that break down protein in chicken, resulting in a tender and juicy cut of meat.

A couple of hours before you are ready to cook the chicken, Ms Nguyen said you must drain the buttermilk and bring the meat back to room temperature by leaving it outside the fridge.

She said it's 'critical' to allow the chicken to sit at room temperature for at least an hour before frying, as cooking cold chicken straight from the fridge can result in an uneven cook that's raw on the inside.

Ms Nguyen (left) said it's crucial to invest in a digital thermometer (right) to ensure the chicken is cooked all the way through

While the chicken warms up, Ms Nguyen measures out her herbs and spices.

Her top tip is to mix smoked and sweet paprika, which she said adds a 'greater depth of flavour' than using just one.

Ms Nguyen blitzes the dried herbs in a food processor to achieve a texture similar to that served in KFC restaurants, before turning her attention to the coating.

She sifts two cups of plain flour into a large dish, then mixes the blitzed herbs and spices into the mixture until fully combined.

Next, Ms Nguyen prepares the milk and egg wash by whisking two eggs and one cup of milk in a large bowl.

Eggs and milk cling to the breading flour on the skin of the chicken, creating the classic coating synonymous with KFC.

Ms Nguyen checks the inside with a thermometer to ensure it's fully cooked, with an internal temperature above 85 degrees Celsius proving the chicken is ready to eat

Ms Nguyen then adds a few tablespoons of the flour mixture into a separate dish, which will serve as the coating for the chicken.

To create the coating, she dips one piece of chicken in flour, shakes off any excess and then fully submerges it in the egg and milk wash.

Ms Nguyen then covers the chicken in flour once again and lays it out on a baking rack while she finishes the rest.

For extra crispy chicken, she recommends double dipping the breaded chicken back into the egg and milk wash and patting the mixture in so it forms rough indents around the edges.

Finally, the chicken is ready to be fried.

Ms Nguyen's recipe has drawn widespread praise since it was shared on social media

Ms Nguyen sets her deep fryer to 180 degrees Celsius and fills it with three litres of vegetable oil.

She loads the frying basket with three pieces at a time and cooks them with the lid on for about eight or nine minutes.

Ms Nguyen checks the inside with a thermometer to ensure it's fully cooked, with an internal temperature above 85 degrees Celsius proving the chicken is ready to eat.

A video of the recipe - which has racked up thousands of 'likes' since it was posted to Instagram on Tuesday - has drawn delighted responses, with the official account of Kitchen Aid Australia replying: 'Colonel Saunders would be very proud!'

'That looks incredible,' one woman wrote, while a second said she 'can't wait to try' the method at home.

A third said the clip had instantly inspired her to invest in a deep fryer and all the ingredients needed for the dish.

Jessica Nguyen's KFC chicken

INGREDIENTS (for 10 to 14 pieces)

1 whole chicken, cut into 10 to 14 pieces

'Not so secret' herbs and spices

1. Cut chicken into large pieces and generously salt on both sides before standing for 30 minutes.

2. Once it has rested, load the seasoned chicken into a large pot and cover it with 600ml of buttermilk, allowing it to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of three hours but ideally overnight.

3. A couple of hours before you are ready to cook the chicken, drain the buttermilk and bring the meat back to room temperature by leaving it outside the fridge.

4. Measure out herbs and spices and blitz in a food processor to achieve a texture similar to that served in KFC restaurants.

5. Sift two cups of plain flour into a large dish, then mix the blitzed herbs and spices into the mixture until fully combined.

6. Prepare the milk and egg wash by whisking two eggs and one cup of milk in a large bowl.

7. Add a few tablespoons of the flour mixture into a separate dish to serve as the coating for the chicken.

8. To create the coating, dip one piece of chicken in flour, shake off any excess and then fully submerge it in the egg and milk wash.

9. Cover the chicken in flour once again and lay it out on a baking rack while you finish the rest.

10. Set deep fryer to 180 degrees Celsius and fill with three litres of canola or vegetable oil.

11. Fry chicken three pieces at a time for eight or nine minutes.

12. Check chicken is fully cooked by sticking a thermometer inside - temperatures above 85 degrees Celsius mean it is safe to eat.


There’s a plethora of fried chicken recipes out there - and many of them attempt to replicate the famous KFC style - but up until now I’ve not been hugely impressed so I’m excited to try this, potentially, original version.

I’m surprised at some of the ingredients and would never have guessed at including things like ground ginger, dried basil or such a large amount of paprika – whilst other spices are fairly obvious, like dried oregano, garlic salt and mustard powder.

The recipe requires flour, salt, canola oil, buttermilk, egg, white pepper, black pepper, garlic salt, ground ginger, celery salt, paprika, oregano, mustard powder, thyme and basil leaves, as well as a whole chicken, cut into pieces

Joanne first mixed the herbs and spices with flour, before setting it aside

She then mixed the buttermilk and egg together in a separate bowl (above, left) until combined

After mixing the herbs and spices with flour in one bowl, I combine the buttermilk and egg in another.

I then soak the chicken – a mix of wings, thighs, drumsticks and breasts, halved – in this gloopy mix for 30 minutes before shaking off the excess batter.

Now it’s time to coat the chicken in the spice mix, which is a bit of a messy business. I leave the chicken to rest again for another 20 minutes or so on a wire rack.

The recipe suggests soaking the chicken – a mix of wings, thighs, drumsticks and breasts, halved – in the mix for 20-30 minutes before shaking off the excess batter

Joanne says coating the chicken in the spice mix is a messy business

Before frying, allow the spice-coated chicken to sit on a rack over a baking sheet for 20 minutes

Using a large, high sided pan, I heat the canola oil to a specific 350F (about 175C) temperature.

There’s quite a bit of oil, so this takes a while, but then the first batch of chicken is ready to go in and be fried for around 15 minutes.

The chicken pieces need to be cooked in batches of three or four so as not to overcrowd the pan, so it takes a fair amount of time to get through my 10 pieces.

Using a large, high sided pan, canola oil is then heated to 350F (about 175C) temperature

The chicken pieces need to be cooked in batches of three or four so as not to overcrowd the pan

Transfer chicken pieces to a baking sheet covered with paper towels. Allow the oil to return to temperature before adding more chicken

Each one is then drained on kitchen towel to remove excess oil – and that’s it.

It certainly looks the part, with a far more impressive crispy coating than I’ve ever managed myself.

I think my chicken is perhaps a tad overdone too (I couldn’t get hold of a frying thermometer to monitor the temperature of the oil) but, regardless, I can’t wait to eat it and compare it to the famous chicken chain's version.

Joanne thinks she overcooked her chicken as the colour is darker than chicken from KFC


Try the spice mix for yourself with the potentially 'genuine' KFC chicken recipe below

1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

1/2 tablespoon dried basil leaves

1/3 tablespoon dried oregano leaves

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon dried mustard

2 tablespoons garlic salt

1 tablespoon ground ginger

3 tablespoons ground white pepper

1 chicken, cut up, the breast pieces cut in half for more even frying

Expeller-pressed canola oil

- Mix the flour in a bowl with all the herbs and spices set aside.

- Mix the buttermilk and egg together in a separate bowl until combined. Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture at room temperature, 20-30 minutes.

- Remove chicken from the buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off. Dip the chicken pieces in the herb-spice-flour mixture to coat all sides, shaking off excess. Allow to sit on a rack over a baking sheet, 20 minutes.

- Meanwhile, heat about 3 inches of the oil in a large Dutch oven (or similar heavy pot with high sides) over medium-high heat to 350F degrees. Use a deep-frying thermometer to check the temperature. When temperature is reached, lower the heat to medium to maintain it at 350F. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time, being careful not to crowd the pot. Fry until medium golden brown, turning once, which should take 15-18 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to a baking sheet covered with paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken.


Sharing photos of his fake KFC on Twitter, he wrote: 'Took me 18 months but I replicated it.

Dan Fell's replica recipe for KFC chicken

  • Five cups of plain flour
  • Half a tablespoon of oregano & thyme
  • One tablespoon of brown ginger
  • Two tablespoons of garlic powder
  • One tablespoon of mustard powder
  • One tablespoon of celery salt
  • One tablespoon of black pepper
  • One third of a tablespoon of sea salt
  • Two tablespoons of white pepper
  • Four tablespoons of paprika
  • Chicken

Add the flour to the herbs and spices. Then use three parts flour to one part self-raising flour.

Season the chicken in a mix when at room temperature.

Egg wash your chicken using egg white and milk. Then re-season in the mix.

Fry the chicken for five to six minutes at 160C to 165C before placing it in a pre-heated 80C oven - then give it a final 90-second fry prior to serving.

'You have to have a deep fryer and you need the right mix of the herbs and spices. Oil needs to be 160-165C no more and no less.

'Chicken needs to be room temperature and you use egg white and milk as the wash (no yolk). Made it about 30 times.'

Dan added that four out of five times his dish had been given a 'you really can’t tell the difference' compliment.

After much encouragement from people online, Dan made a video of his recipe and shared it as KFC establishments across Britain closed down because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The recipe includes five cups of plain flour, four tablespoons of paprika, two tablespoons of white pepper and garlic powder, plus one tablespoon of ground ginger.

To the mixture, Dan also adds one tablespoon of mustard powder, celery salt and black pepper, half a tablespoon of oregano and thyme and one-third of a tablespoon of sea salt.

The chicken lover explained that basil was the 11th ingredient but that he often leaves it out as it doesn't add much flavour to the jam-packed recipe.

Use three parts of the mix to one part of self-raising flour and give the chicken an egg wash before rolling it in the seasoning and frying it in a deep fat fryer or hot oil at 160C to 165C.

The recipe includes five cups of plain flour, four tablespoons of paprika, two tablespoons of white pepper and garlic powder, plus one tablespoon of ground ginger (pictured)

Lightning Fill In The Blank

Now on to our final game, Lightning Fill in the Blank. Each of our players will have 60 seconds in which to answer as many fill in the blank questions as he or she can, each correct answer now worth two points. Carl, can you give us the scores?

CARL KASELL: We have a tie for first place, Peter. Adam Felber and Kyrie O'Connor both have three points. Paula Poundstone has two.

SAGAL: OK, Paula, you're in third place. You're up first. The clock will start when I begin your first question. Fill in the blank.

SAGAL: After meeting with the NRA, Joe Biden announced he would present recommendations to curb blank by next Tuesday.

SAGAL: Members of both parties criticized President Obama's decision to nominate blank to be the next Secretary of Defense.

SAGAL: Investigators are trying to determine what caused a blank traveling from New Jersey to New York to crash Wednesday.

POUNDSTONE: One of those boats, the ferries.

SAGAL: Yes, a ferry, one of those boats.

SAGAL: On Thursday, the movie "Lincoln" led the pack with 12 blank nominations.

POUNDSTONE: Academy Award, Oscar.

SAGAL: Inspired by claims made by Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, scientists this week determined that blanking is quote "fine"?

SAGAL: And the water they said stays fine even after people pee in it. This week Oprah Winfrey announced that she would be interviewing blank about his doping scandal, next week.

POUNDSTONE: Lance Armstrong.

SAGAL: In a somewhat surprising move, this week the National Father's Day Council named blank Father of the Year.

POUNDSTONE: Oh, I think I know this. Wait. I do know it. Hold on. Hold on.

POUNDSTONE: Father of the year. Clinton.

SAGAL: Yes, Bill Clinton, very good.

SAGAL: Among those pleading guilty to participating in a notorious, destructive 2011 hockey riot in Canada is blank.

POUNDSTONE: My cat, Mrs. Fizziwig.

SAGAL: Pleading guilty to participating the hockey riot was Miss Congeniality.

SAGAL: Sophie Laboissonniere was awarded the title of Miss Congeniality in the 2011 Miss Coastal Vancouver pageant, a title, which she proved, she had earned by being the nicest and sweetest rioter looting and breaking into buildings during the riot. Her lawyer has asked for leniency, and said that officials shouldn't be that surprised, since for the talent portion of the competition she rolled and torched a car.

ADAM FELBER: But so sweetly.

SAGAL: Isn't it nice? Carl, how did Paula do on our quiz?

KASELL: Paula had six correct answers for 12 more points. She now has 14 points and Paula has taken the lead.

SAGAL: Well done, Paula. We have flipped a coin. Adam has decided to go next. Fill in the blank. White House officials said Tuesday they are considering removing all troops from blank after 2014.

SAGAL: After it announced it would holding a media event for a big unveiling next week , stocks of social media giant blank jumped.

SAGAL: The National Cathedral announced this week that effective immediately, it will officiate weddings for blank couples.

SAGAL: Tests this week proved that a Chicago man who died shortly after blanking was poisoned with cyanide.

FELBER: Winning the lottery.

SAGAL: Returning to work after being hospitalized for a blood clot caused by a fall, Hilary Clinton's staff presented her with blank.

SAGAL: For the first time in ten years, musician blank released a new single.

SAGAL: In a surprisingly candid interview with "Dateline," Al Roker confessed that during a 2002 visit to the White House he blanked.

FELBER: He pooped in his own pants.

SAGAL: A jewel heist in Australia went wrong this week when the thieves accidentally blanked.

FELBER: Broke into a candy store.

SAGAL: No. They tunneled into a KFC instead of the jewelers. Close, you were. This was Peter Welsh and Dwayne Dolan's third attempt to rob the same jewelry shop. They smashed the window. That didn't work. And when they tried to break in through the back door, they ended up at the local Animal Welfare League.

SAGAL: So when they tunneled through the wall and found themselves in the KFC next door instead of the jewelry store, they just threw up their hands and robbed the KFC instead.

SAGAL: Carl, how did Adam do on our quiz?

KASELL: Adam had seven correct answers, for 14 more points.

POUNDSTONE: Oh, there it is.

KASELL: He now has 17 points, and Adam has taken the lead.

SAGAL: Wow, that was masterful.

SAGAL: So how many does Kyrie need to win the game?

KASELL: Seven to tie, eight to win outright.

SAGAL: Here we go, Kyrie. This is for the game.

KYRIE O'CONNOR: No stress, no stress.

SAGAL: Fill in the blank. Boston declared a public health emergency on Wednesday after confirming 700 cases of blank.

SAGAL: This week President Obama nominated John Brennan to be the next head of the blank.

SAGAL: Because of health problems, the inauguration for Venezuelan president blank was postponed.

SAGAL: After flights were canceled due to three incidents in three days, concerns grew about Boeing's new blank plane.

SAGAL: In spite of his claims of innocence, police at a protest in Belarus arrested a blank for blanking.

O'CONNOR: A man for applauding.

SAGAL: Right, a one-armed man for clapping.

SAGAL: This week Hasbro announced that fan votes will determine which playing piece will be retired from the game blank.

SAGAL: In this year's Baseball Hall of Fame voting, blank received enough votes to get in.

SAGAL: Officials in Canada are reminding citizens that hamsters giving birth, bad pizza and sasquatch sightings are not good reasons to blank.

O'CONNOR: To drive off the road.

SAGAL: Police officials say people need to remember that the number is for emergencies only, and even though it may seem like an emergency when the hamster you just bought unexpectedly gives birth to ten babies, that's not the kind of emergency they mean.

SAGAL: Carl, did Kyrie do well enough to win? She came close.

KASELL: She came very close, Peter. She had seven correct answers for 14 more points. She now has 17 points, and is tied with Adam Felber. So this week, Adam Felber and Kyrie O'Connor are co-champions.

SAGAL: Congratulations, well done.

SAGAL: Paula, how do you feel?

Copyright © 2013 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR&rsquos programming is the audio record.

‘Safe’ doesn’t mean ‘safe’

When such cases go to court, the bank often has the upper hand. Lianna Saribekyan and her husband, Agassi Halajyan, leased a large safe deposit box at a Bank of America branch in Universal City, Calif., in 2012. They filled it with jewelry, cash, gemstones and family heirlooms that they wanted to keep safe as they renovated their home. They paid $246 for a one-year rental. Nine months later, Ms. Saribekyan returned to the branch and discovered that her box was gone. The Bank of America location was closing, employees told her the bank had drilled open all of its safe deposit boxes. (The bank said it sent multiple letters to customers about the branch closure. Ms. Saribekyan said she never received them.)

KFC Vietnam

They're supposed to be introducing it here in the UK at KFC. I wonder if it'll look anything like this.

Chickens in particular seem to attract less empathy than other animals. They lack the charisma of wild birds or the cuteness of pets. They are historically portrayed as comically unintelligent and cowardly. Say the word chicken and most people don’t even think of the animal. They think KFC.

Yet, whatever status we accord chickens, they feel the same pain as the injured bird on your front lawn. Just because we stick labels on animals like wildlife, pet or livestock, it makes no difference to them or their capacity for suffering. A broken wing is a broken wing.

No one who watched the CTV television coverage of a recent undercover investigation of a poultry slaughterhouse run by Maple Lodge Farms could deny that animals were suffering.

The investigation, by Mercy for Animals Canada, revealed chickens with visibly broken bones being hung upside down on a fast moving line dragging them to slaughter. According to the investigator, some were hung by one leg (in violation of federal humane slaughter policy) by workers under pressure to process 20 birds per minute. Video footage showed chickens crammed into crates being roughly thrown and dropped onto conveyor belts on arrival at the facility. A poultry scientist interviewed by CTV said many of the practices depicted were “unacceptable.”

But perhaps just as disturbing are the practices that are currently considered “acceptable” in Canada. Chickens raised for meat are now bred to grow so fast they are crippled by their own weight, leading to heart attacks, skeletal disorders and lameness. They are transported to slaughterhouses in unheated trucks with limited ventilation in all weather, during which time they can legally be deprived of water, food and rest for up to 36 hours. After short lives of deprivation, stress and pain, more than 600 million chickens are shackled upside-down and slaughtered in Canada each year.

This built-in cruelty exists because industrialized animal agriculture is about profitably producing masses of cheap meat — a priority that cannot help but conflict with animal welfare.

Only pressure from Canadian consumers can make producers change their methods. Some consumers have decided to buy outside the factory farm system, turning to non-intensive, traditional producers. Others have turned against animal agriculture altogether as the quality, selection and convenience of vegetarian and vegan food rapidly improves. If one can eat well without cruelty or slaughter, why not?

If there was enough public outrage, the industry could be forced to use more humane slaughter methods such as gas. Transport times without food and water could be lowered. Trucks could be weatherproofed.

But for any of this to happen, Canadians need to care about chickens. Perhaps the latest science, which shows they are sentient, curious, social animals with far more intelligence than previously thought, would make a difference.


Nelson was born Lester Joseph Gillis on December 6, 1908 in Chicago, Illinois. He was arrested on July 4, 1921 at age twelve, after accidentally shooting a playmate in the jaw with a pistol that he had found. He served over a year in the state reformatory. [5] Nelson was arrested again for car theft and joyriding at age 13 and was sent to a penal school for an additional 18 months. Nelson was released on April 11, 1924. [6]

Nelson joined a gang during his mid-teens and became its leader. In 1928, he married Helen Wawrzyniak, and they had two children. [7]

Gang affiliation Edit

By the time he met Wawrzyniak, Nelson was working at a Standard Oil station in his neighborhood which doubled as the headquarters for a group of young tire thieves, known colloquially as "strippers". Nelson fell into association with the strippers, and acquainted himself with a number of local criminals, including one who employed him to drive bootleg alcohol throughout the Chicago suburbs. Nelson became associated with members of the suburb-based Touhy Gang. [8]

Armed robbery Edit

Within two years, Nelson and the gang were involved in organized crime, especially armed robbery. On January 6, 1930, the associates forced entry into the home of magazine executive Charles M. Richter. After trussing him up with adhesive tape and cutting the phone lines, they ransacked the house and made off with approximately $205,000 worth of jewelry (equivalent to approximately $3.2 million in 2020 dollars). Two months later, they carried out a similar robbery at the bungalow of Lottie Brenner Von Buelow (on Sheridan Road). This job netted approximately $50,000 worth of jewelry. After the crime Chicago newspapers nicknamed the group "The Tape Bandits". [9]

Bank robbery Edit

On April 21, 1930, Nelson robbed a bank for the first time, making off with approximately $4,000. A month later, Nelson and his gang netted $25,000 worth of jewelry from home invasions. On October 3, Nelson robbed the Itasca State Bank of $4,600 a teller later identified him as one of the robbers. Three nights later, he stole the jewelry of the wife of Chicago mayor Big Bill Thompson, valued at $18,000. She described her attacker, saying "He had a baby face. He was good looking, hardly more than a boy, had dark hair and was wearing a gray topcoat and a brown felt hat, turned down brim." [10] Nelson and his crew were later linked to a botched roadhouse robbery in Summit, Illinois on November 23, 1930. In the ensuing gunfight, three people were killed and three wounded. Three nights later, Nelson's gang robbed a tavern on Waukegan Road, and Nelson committed his first murder of note when he fatally shot stockbroker Edwin R. Thompson. [11]

Throughout the winter of 1931, most of the Tape Bandits were rounded up, including Nelson. The Chicago Tribune referred to their leader as "George 'Baby Face' Nelson" who received a sentence of one year to life in the state penitentiary at Joliet. Nelson escaped during a prison transfer in February 1932. Through his contacts within the Touhy Gang, Nelson fled west to Reno, where he was harbored by William Graham, a known crime boss and gambler. Using the alias "Jimmy Johnson", Nelson went to Sausalito, California, where he worked for bootlegger Joe Parente. During his San Francisco Bay area criminal ventures, Nelson met John Paul Chase and Fatso Negri, who later became close associates. [11] In Reno the next winter, Nelson first met the vacationing Alvin Karpis, who in turn introduced him to Midwestern bank robber Eddie Bentz. Teaming up with Bentz, Nelson returned to the Midwest the next summer. He committed a major bank robbery in Grand Haven, Michigan on August 18, 1933 his first in the area. The robbery was not lucrative, though most of those involved made a full escape. [12]

The Grand Haven bank robbery convinced Nelson he was ready to lead his own gang. Through connections at the Green Lantern Tavern in St. Paul, Nelson recruited Homer Van Meter, Tommy Carroll, and Eddie Green. With these men and two other local thieves, Nelson robbed the First National Bank of Brainerd, Minnesota of $32,000 on October 23, 1933 (equivalent to approximately $640,000 in 2020 dollars [13] ). Witnesses reported that Nelson wildly sprayed sub-machine gun bullets at bystanders as he made his getaway. [14] After collecting his wife Helen and four-year-old son Ronald, Nelson left with his crew for San Antonio, Texas. While there, Nelson and his gang bought several weapons from underworld gunsmith Hyman Lehman. One of those weapons was a .38 Super Colt pistol that had been modified so it was fully automatic. Nelson used this gun to kill Special Agent W. Carter Baum at Little Bohemia Lodge several months later. [15]

On December 9, 1933, a local woman tipped off San Antonio police regarding the presence nearby of "high-powered Northern gangsters". Two days later, Tommy Carroll was cornered by two detectives and opened fire, killing Detective H.C. Perrin and wounding Detective Al Hartman. All the Nelson gang, except Nelson, fled San Antonio. Nelson and his wife traveled west to the San Francisco Bay Area, where he recruited John Paul Chase and Fatso Negri for a new wave of bank robberies the following spring. [16]

Partnership with John Dillinger Edit

On March 3, 1934, John Dillinger made his famous "wooden pistol" escape from the jail in Crown Point, Indiana. Although the details remain in some dispute, the escape is suspected to have been arranged and financed by members of Nelson's newly formed gang, including Homer Van Meter, Tommy Carroll, Eddie Green, and John "Red" Hamilton, with the understanding that Dillinger would repay some part of the bribe money out of his share of the first robbery. The night Dillinger arrived in the Twin Cities, Nelson and his friend John Paul Chase were cut off by another car driven by local paint salesman Theodore Kidder. Nelson lost his temper and gave chase, crowding Kidder to the curb. The salesman exited his vehicle to protest, whereupon Nelson shot him dead. [17]

Two days after this, the new gang (with Hamilton's participation as the sixth man uncertain) struck the Security National Bank at Sioux Falls, South Dakota. In the robbery, which netted around $49,000 (figures differ slightly), Nelson severely wounded motorcycle policeman Hale Keith with a burst of sub-machine-gun fire as the officer was arriving at the scene. [18] [19] The six men were soon identified as "the Second Dillinger gang", due to Dillinger's extreme notoriety, but the gang had no official leader. [20]

On March 13, a week after the robbery in Sioux Falls, the gang robbed the First National Bank in Mason City, Iowa. Dillinger and Hamilton were both shot and wounded in the robbery, where they made off with $52,000. [21] On April 3, federal agents ambushed and killed Eddie Green, though he was unarmed and they were uncertain of his identity. [22] In the aftermath of the Mason City robbery, Nelson and John Paul Chase fled west to Reno, where their old bosses Bill Graham and Jim McKay were fighting a federal mail fraud case. Years later, the FBI determined that on March 22, 1934, Nelson and Chase abducted and killed the chief witness against the pair, Roy Fritsch. Fritsch's quartered body was said to have been thrown down an abandoned mine shaft, [23] and was never found.

Little Bohemia Edit

On the afternoon of April 20, Nelson, Dillinger, Van Meter, Carroll, Hamilton, and gang associate and errand-runner Pat Reilly, accompanied by Nelson's wife Helen and three girlfriends of the other men, arrived at the secluded Little Bohemia Lodge in Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin for a weekend of rest. The gang's connection to the resort apparently came from previous dealings between Dillinger's attorney, Louis Piquett, and lodge owner Emil Wanatka. Though gang members greeted him by name, Wanatka maintained that he was unaware of their identities until some time later that night. According to Bryan Burrough's book Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933–34, this most likely happened when Wanatka was playing cards with Dillinger, Nelson, and Hamilton. When Dillinger won a round and raked in the pot, Wanatka caught a glimpse of Dillinger's pistol concealed in his coat, and noticed that Nelson and the others also had shoulder holsters.

The following day, while she was away from the lodge with her young son at a children's birthday party, Wanatka's wife informed a friend, Henry Voss, that the Dillinger gang was at the lodge, and the FBI was subsequently given the tip early on April 22. [ citation needed ] Melvin Purvis and a number of agents arrived by plane from Chicago, and with the gang's departure imminent, attacked the lodge quickly and with little preparation, and without notifying or obtaining help from local authorities.

Wanatka offered a one-dollar dinner special on Sunday nights, and the last of a crowd estimated at 75 people were leaving as the agents arrived in the front driveway. A 1933 Chevrolet coupé was leaving at that moment with three departing lodge customers, John Hoffman, Eugene Boisneau and John Morris, who apparently did not hear an order to halt because the car radio drowned out the agents yelling at them to stop. The agents quickly opened fire on them, instantly killing Boisneau and wounding the others, and alerting the gang members inside.

Adding to the chaos, at this moment Pat Reilly returned to the lodge after an out-of-town errand for Van Meter, accompanied by John Hamilton's girlfriend, Pat Cherrington. Accosted by the agents, Reilly and Cherrington backed out and escaped under fire.

Dillinger, Van Meter, Hamilton, and Carroll escaped through the back of the lodge, which was unguarded, and made their way north on foot through woods and past a lake to commandeer a car and a driver at a resort a mile away. Carroll was not far behind them. He made it to Manitowish and stole a car, making it uneventfully to St. Paul.

Nelson, who had been outside the lodge in the adjacent cabin, characteristically attacked the raiding party head on, exchanging fire with Purvis, before retreating into the lodge under a return volley from other agents. From there he slipped out the back and fled in the opposite direction from the others. Emerging from the woods ninety minutes later, a mile away from Little Bohemia, Nelson kidnapped the Lange couple from their home and ordered them to drive him away. Apparently dissatisfied with the car's speed, he quickly ordered them to pull up at a brightly lit house where the switchboard operator, Alvin Koerner, aware of the ongoing events, quickly phoned authorities at one of the involved lodges to report a suspicious vehicle in front of his home. Shortly after Nelson had entered the home, taking the Koerners hostage, Emil Wanatka arrived with his brother-in-law George LaPorte and a lodge employee (while a fourth man remained in the car) and were also taken prisoner. Nelson ordered Koerner and Wanatka back into their vehicle, where the fourth man remained unnoticed in the back seat.

As they were preparing to leave, with Wanatka driving at gunpoint, another car arrived with two federal agents – W. Carter Baum and Jay Newman – as well as a local constable, Carl Christensen. Nelson asked the agents who they were and upon the agents identifying themselves, Nelson quickly opened fire with his fully automatic pistol, severely wounding Christensen and Newman and killing Baum, who was hit three times in the neck. Nelson was later quoted as having said that Baum had him "cold" and could not understand why he had not fired. It was found that the safety catch on Baum's gun was on.

Nelson stole the FBI car. Less than 15 miles away, the car suffered a flat tire and finally became mired in mud as Nelson attempted unsuccessfully to change it. Back on foot, he wandered into the woods and took up residence with a Chippewa family in their secluded cabin for several days before making his final escape in another commandeered vehicle. [24] [25]

Three of the women who had accompanied the gang, including Nelson's wife Helen, were captured inside the lodge. After grueling interrogations by the FBI, the three were ultimately convicted on harboring charges and released on parole. [26]

With an agent and an innocent bystander dead and four more severely wounded, including two more innocent bystanders, as well as the complete escape of the Dillinger gang, the FBI came under severe criticism, with calls for director J. Edgar Hoover's resignation and a widely circulated petition demanding Purvis' suspension. [27]

Nelson as public enemy #1 Edit

At the time of the Little Bohemia shootout, Nelson's identity as a member of the Dillinger gang had been known to the FBI for two weeks. Following the killing of Baum, Nelson became nationally notorious and was made a high-priority target of the Bureau. The focus on him and the murdered agent served to deflect some of the intense criticism directed at Hoover and Purvis following the Little Bohemia debacle. [28]

A day after the Little Bohemia raid, Dillinger, Hamilton, and Van Meter ran through a police roadblock near Hastings, Minnesota, drawing fire from officers there. A ricocheting bullet struck Hamilton in the back, fatally wounding him. [29] [30] Hamilton reportedly died in hiding on April 30 or May 1, 1934, and was secretly buried by Dillinger and others, including Nelson, who had rejoined the gang in Aurora, Illinois. [31]

On June 7, gang member Tommy Carroll was killed while trying to evade arrest in Waterloo, Iowa. Carroll and his girlfriend, Jean Crompton (who had been captured and tried with Helen Gillis after Little Bohemia), had grown close to the Nelsons, and his death was a personal blow to them. Nelson and his wife went into hiding during the ensuing weeks, and although they were in the Chicago area, their precise movements in this period remain obscure. The Nelsons reportedly lived in various tourist camps, while continuing to secretly meet with family members whenever possible. [32]

On June 27, former gang errand-runner and Little Bohemia fugitive Pat Reilly was arrested in St. Paul, Minnesota. [33]

On the morning of June 30, Nelson, Dillinger, Van Meter, and one or more additional accomplices robbed the Merchants National Bank in South Bend, Indiana. One man involved in the robbery is believed to have been Pretty Boy Floyd, based on several eyewitness identifications as well as the later account of Joseph "Fatso" Negri, an old Nelson associate from California who was serving as a gofer for the gang at this time. [34] Another rumored participant was Nelson's childhood friend, Jack Perkins, also an associate of the gang at that time. (Perkins was later tried for the robbery and acquitted). [35]

When the robbery began, policeman Howard Wagner had been directing traffic outside responding quickly to the scene and attempting to draw his gun, he was shot dead by Van Meter, who was stationed outside the bank. During the shootout that followed, Nelson exchanged fire with a local jeweler, Harry Berg, who had shot him in the chest - ineffectively, because of Nelson's bullet-proof vest. As Berg retreated into his store under a return volley from Nelson, a man in a parked car was wounded. Nelson also grappled briefly with a teenage boy, Joseph Pawlowski, who tackled him until Nelson (or Van Meter) stunned Pawlowski with a blow from his gun. When Dillinger and the man identified as Floyd (unconfirmed) emerged from the bank with sacks containing $28,000, they brought three hostages with them (including the bank president) to deter gunfire from three patrolmen on the scene. The policemen fired nonetheless, wounding two of the hostages before grazing Van Meter in the head. The gang escaped, and Van Meter recovered. In the constant and chaotic exchange of gunfire, several other bystanders were wounded by shots, ricochets, or flying broken glass. It was the last confirmed robbery for all of the known and suspected participants, including Floyd (unconfirmed). [36] [37]

During the month of July, as the FBI manhunt for him continued, Nelson and his wife fled to California with associate John Paul Chase, who remained with Nelson for the rest of his life. Upon their return to Chicago on July 15, the gang held a reunion meeting at a favorite rendezvous site. When the meeting was interrupted by two Illinois state troopers, Fred McAllister and Gilbert Cross, Nelson fired on their vehicle with his converted "machine gun pistol", wounding both men as the gangsters retreated. Cross was badly wounded, but both he and McAllister survived. Nelson's responsibility was uncertain until verification came later in the form of a confession from Chase. [38]

On July 22, 1934, Dillinger was ambushed and killed by FBI agents outside the Biograph Theater in Lincoln Park, Chicago. The next day the FBI announced that "Pretty Boy" Floyd was now Public Enemy No. 1. On October 22, 1934, Floyd was killed in a shootout with agents including Melvin Purvis. Subsequently, J. Edgar Hoover announced that Nelson was now Public Enemy No. 1. [39]

On August 23, Van Meter was ambushed and killed by police in St. Paul, Minnesota, leaving Nelson as the sole survivor of the so-called "Second Dillinger Gang".

In the ensuing months, Nelson and his wife, usually accompanied by Chase, drifted west to cities including Sacramento and San Francisco, California and Reno and Las Vegas, Nevada. They often stayed in auto camps, including Walley's Hot Springs, outside Genoa, Nevada, where they hid out from October 1 [40] before returning to Chicago around November 1. [41] Nelson's movements during the final month of his life are largely unknown.

By the end of the month, FBI interest had settled on a former hideout of Nelson's, the Lake Como Inn in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, where it was believed that Nelson might return for the winter. When the Nelsons and Chase did return to the inn on November 27, they briefly came face to face with surprised and unprepared FBI agents who had staked it out. The fugitives sped away before any shots were fired. Armed with a description of the car (a black Ford V8) and its license plate number (639-578), agents swarmed into the area. [42]

Red Dead Redemption 2 Torn Treasure Maps

To collect and use the Torn Treasure Maps you will have to locate and kill two unique Hermits that can be found in the world of Red Dead Redemption II. Each one contains one half of a treasure map that will lead to the unique pistol Otis Miller’s Revolver.

The order in which you collect the map halves does not matter. It will affect which map half is named "Torn Treasure Map 1" and "Torn Treasure Map 2" though.

Torn Treasure Map 1

The Male Hermit is found on the far eastern side of the map, north of the town Annesburg. Along the right-hand road north of Annesburg is Manito Glade. There you will find the hermit’s home surrounded by a fence and "Keep Out" signs.

When you approach, he will shout at you and threaten to shoot at you. Kill him to be able to enter the home and collect the unique shotgun simply called the Rare Shotgun. You must pick it up now, or you will not be able to collect it later. One half of the Torn Treasure Map is inside the house inside a drawer.

Torn Treasure Map 2

The Female Hermit is found on the western side of West Elizabeth. Her home is far northwest of Wallace Station. Follow Little Creek River into the mountains and her home is in the woods off to the right.

She will sick her three dogs upon you when you get close to her home. Kill all three of them and the hermit herself so you may safely collect the half of the Torn Treasure Map. The map piece is inside the house inside a drawer.

The two map halves will make the whole treasure map, pictured below.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Torn Treasure Map Treasure Location

Once you collect both halves of the Torn Treasure Map, head down to the town of Armadillo. Northwest of the town along the state line near Rattlesnake Hollow, you will find a small cave entrance.

Inside the cave is Otis Miller’s treasure. Open it up to collect the rare Otis Miller’s Revolver, as well as six "erotic photographs."

Watch the video: Τι θα ισχύει για τους κλειστούς χώρους το Φθινόπωρο (January 2022).